Whereas this method is perhaps new to some, for Danny Grant, a two-Michelin starred government chef and companion of Gold Coast steakhouse, Maple & Ash, consuming grilled lettuce each summer season is the norm. Able to make it a part of your common summer season meal rotation, too? We spoke with Chef Grant to study precisely find out how to grill lettuce like a professional, plus he shared his all-time favourite grilled Caesar salad recipe with us so you’ll be able to check out your approach tonight.
Easy methods to make the most effective grilled lettuce at dwelling
1. Begin out with a dense head of lettuce
All of it begins while you’re buying on the farmer’s market or your native grocery retailer. “The important thing to creating an incredible grilled salad at dwelling lies in choosing the proper head of lettuce,” Grant says. “It’s important to be certain to seize a dense one—assume a number of tight, thick layers of leaves—so it could actually stand up to the extraordinary warmth.” A hearty head of romaine is a superb lettuce possibility for grilling, however endive, escarole, radicchio, or inexperienced leaf lettuce can be equally scrumptious.
2. Get your grill blazing sizzling
“Whether or not for lettuce or steak, I do know everybody desires to nail these superb grill marks—however you are by no means ever going to get them if you’re working with something lower than a hades-level blaze,” Grant says. “When going for that steakhouse sear and crust, your hearth must be completely ripping sizzling.” So be certain to securely set your grill on excessive if these darkish grill marks and scrumptious seared taste are what you’re seeking to obtain.
How does Grant obtain the perfect blazing-hot hearth on his grill, you ask? All of it comes down to 1 must-have software: a charcoal starter. “This [tool] is as fundamental because it will get, however I don’t care. I’m nothing with out my charcoal starter. It is so essential for out of doors grilling as a result of a charcoal starter will provide you with a a lot hotter hearth. Every thing will probably be each simpler and extra scrumptious from there,” Grant says.
3. Solely grill a single facet
Subsequent, Grant recommends solely charring one facet. “It will hold it from turning into wilted mush whereas nonetheless packing severe wood-fired taste.”
4. Salt earlier than you sear
Whether or not you are grilling lettuce or one other sort of vegetable, Grant says that salting earlier than you cook dinner is a should for optimum taste and texture. “For example, I’m additionally large large fan of grilled summer season squash. It has a very nice texture that interprets nicely to salads, sandwiches, and wraps—however I by no means make it with out scoring slices and salting them an hour earlier than I’m able to cook dinner. This helps to cook dinner them all through because it softens up the veg and breaks it down a bit in one of the best ways,” Grant says. (Say goodbye to too-hard-to-chew bell peppers perpetually.) Within the case of lettuce, you’ll be able to salt proper earlier than you sear—no have to do it an hour forward of time.
Maple & Ash’s fork & knife grilled Caesar salad recipe
Yields 1 serving
1 romaine coronary heart
1/2 ounce further virgin olive oil (plus extra for garnishing)
Just a few cracks of contemporary floor black pepper
2 ounces Caesar dressing (traditional do-it-yourself or store-bought)
1 ounce parmesan (shredded)
1/4 cup toasted brown butter panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp effective herb salad (finely chopped chive tops, watercress, tarragon, and chervil)
Juice of 1/4 lemon
Sprint of Maldon salt
1 soft-cooked, 7-minute egg (break up in half)
Cooking the lettuce:
1. Warmth your grill (ideally wood-fired) as sizzling as it could actually go.
2. Lower romaine coronary heart with the basis finish nonetheless hooked up to ensure the romaine stays on the grill whereas cooking.
3. Drizzle a very good little bit of olive oil on the reduce a part of the romaine and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
4. In your sizzling grill, put the romaine on the reduce facet down. You need to get a very good char on one facet of the lettuce with out making the entire lettuce head soggy. Grill for not more than 6 minutes, turning the lettuce 90 levels after 3 minutes.
5. Switch the lettuce to a tray to relaxation for a couple of minutes earlier than garnishing.
To construct the salad:
1. To complete the salad, put the caesar dressing in between the nooks and crannies of the lettuce to ensure every leaf will get a bit bit of affection.
2. Grate contemporary parmesan excessive of the lettuce with a Microplane or cheese grater. Sprinkle on high the toasted panko that has been cooked with browned butter (quite simple, simply brown some butter and add toasted breadcrumbs). Garnish with effective herbs.
3. Drizzle some high quality further virgin olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and contemporary cracked black pepper to complete.
4. Serve with a soft-boiled egg that is been break up in half.
What else you ought to be grilling, in response to the chef
So, in the event you actually need to take the grilling sport significantly, Grant shares methods to serve grilled meals for each meal of the day—sure, even breakfast. In relation to grilling very first thing within the morning, the chef instantly reaches for the fruit basket. “Throw some pineapple, peaches, or different stone fruit on the grill. Good for a well-rounded morning dish when served with greek yogurt, granola, and a bit drizzle of honey—primarily a kicked-up tackle a parfait,” he says. And relating to dessert, Grant additionally loves grilling fruits for his go-to fire-roasted dessert: fruit glazed with lavender honey served with ricotta cake and a dollop of whipped cream, which he says is the right candy ending to stability out a heavier protein-filled meal. Let’s simply say we’re offered.